Friday, January 29, 2010

Turn 'Em Off...For Just One Earth Hour!

There's no hurry, but mark the time: March 27, 2010 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm, EST. That's this year's Earth Hour, when hundreds of millions of people, organizations, corporations and governments will come together to make a bold statement about their concern for climate change by doing something quite simple—turning off non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour. Earth Hour, organized by the World Wildlife Fund, symbolizes that by working together, each of us can have a positive impact in the fight against climate change, protecting our future and that of future generations.

What happens when the lights go out? When Chicago flipped the switch to OFF during the 2008 Earth Hour, the city kept 840,000 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. Now, if your mind has the muscle, imagine what the total figure came to when cities and towns went dark all over the world. That's a lot of gas.

Check out this video and you'll see what Earth Hour is all about and what the world looked like when the lights went off in 2009.

2 comments:

army rations said...

Wow it's really interesting post. I had also watched the video and I am very happy to know about the earth hour. I"ll wait eagerly for 27th March for sure.

Kevin Tuck said...

Absolutely! thanks for letting us know about that - I did'nt know it was coming up again. I'll definitely have to take a break from creating our music theory worksheets for a while for that one!