Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Attitudes -- Predictors of Entrepreneurial Potential

Which young people have entrepreneurial chops? There's now a test that could help identify the next generation of gifted impresarios. Devised by an academic at Kingston University in South West London, the test identifies students who are more likely than others to start their own business and show a flair for self-employed enterprise.

The test is divided into two sections. The first includes questions about attitudes related to risk-taking measures, creativity, intuition, leadership skills, the amount of control students feel they have over their futures, and the likelihood that they'll set up an enterprise. The second section of the test gathers information about ethnicity, gender and parents' occupations. Currently, the University of Michigan's Kettering University is using the test, as are universities in London universities; Zagreb, Croatia; Australia and South Africa.

Overall, the study showed that boys, private school pupils and young black people are more positive about self-employment than other groups. Self-confidence seems to be the characteristic that most influences a young person's enterprise potential.

2 comments:

CookiCortez said...

We may speak of a group, an organization or a community as being entrepreneurial without necessarily speaking of entrepreneurs per se. Implicit in this is the notion that the group, organization, or community possesses some potential for entrepreneurial activity. The environment need not be already rich in entrepreneurs, but has the potential for increasing entrepreneurial activity. Shapero (1981) argued that such potential characterized economically self-renewing communities and organizations. He further argued that the key to long-term resilience was increasing the supply of individuals who see themselves as potential entrepreneurs, rather than counting coup over each immediate job created (or business attracted).

“A man's worst enemies is doubts and fears”
Calgary corporate training | Calgary management training

SIA Training said...

Personal circumstances and the experience of others around you may well be a factor in creating a certain mind frame. I was made redundant and could not get a job so had no other way but to establish something of my own in order to survive. Again, now if I have an option to go and work for someone else, I would gladly refuse it.