Monday, April 27, 2009
Folks have said a lot of things about engineering over the years. Here are just a few quotes... most of them from unlikely sources.
* To define it rudely but not ineptly, engineering is the art of doing for 10 shillings what any fool can do for a pound
- Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
* A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering.
- Dyson, Freeman
*My advice is to look out for engineers. They begin with sewing machines and end up with nuclear bombs.
- Pagnol, Marcel
* For 'Tis the sport to have the engineer hoisted with his own petard.
* Engineering -- The human nervous system studying and improving itself: intelligence studying and improving intelligence. Why be depressed, dumb, and agitated when you can be happy, smart, and tranquil?
- Wilson, Robert
* (while watching a new machine) For a moment, nothing happened.Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.
- Douglas Adams
* The south produced statesmen and soldiers, planters and doctors and lawyers and poets, but certainly no engineers and mechanics. Let Yankees adopt such low callings.
- Gone With The Wind
* Death and taxes are unsolved ENGINEERING problems
- Romana Machado
Posted by Bill Clayton, Editor, Michigan Engineer at 9:34 AM